top of page


In association with:
ABG logo 300dpi with transparency.png

Specialist insurance for short-term rentals is essential because traditional homeowner's insurance may not adequately cover the unique risks associated with renting out a property on a short-term basis.


Before purchasing specialised insurance, carefully review policy terms, coverage limits, and exclusions. It's also advisable to consult with an insurance professional who understands the specific requirements and risks associated with short-term rentals in your location.


Here are several reasons why specialised insurance is necessary for short-term rentals:


Increased liability exposure


Short-term rentals typically involve a higher frequency of guests, which increases the likelihood of accidents or property damage. Specialised insurance can provide additional liability coverage to protect against potential legal claims from guests.


Commercial use of property


Renting out a property for short-term stays is considered a commercial use. Traditional homeowner's insurance policies are designed for personal use, and using the property as a business may void or limit coverage. Specialist insurance is tailored to the unique risks associated with commercial activities.


Property damage and theft


Short-term rentals may be at a higher risk of property damage or theft, especially when there are frequent turnovers of guests. Specialised insurance can cover the cost of repairs or replacements for damages caused by guests.


Loss of rental income


If your property becomes uninhabitable due to covered damage (such as a fire or flood), specialised insurance can cover the loss of rental income during the time the property is being repaired.


Guest injury coverage


If a guest is injured on your property, specialised insurance can provide coverage for medical expenses and potential legal liabilities. Traditional homeowner's insurance may not offer sufficient coverage for injuries related to short-term rentals.


Legal expenses


Specialised insurance can cover legal expenses in case of disputes or lawsuits arising from short-term rental activities. This can include legal defence costs and settlement fees.


Exclusions in homeowner policies


Many homeowner's insurance policies have exclusions or limitations related to short-term rentals. It's important to review the terms of your policy and obtain specialised coverage that addresses the specific risks associated with short-term rentals.


Personal property coverage


Traditional homeowner's insurance may not fully cover personal property used for short-term rental activities. Specialised insurance can provide coverage for furniture, appliances, and other items used by guests.


Cancellations and interruptions


Specialised insurance can offer coverage for financial losses resulting from guest cancellations or interruptions caused by unforeseen events, such as natural disasters or utility failures.


Guest vetting protection


Some specialised insurance policies may provide coverage if a guest causes damage, despite any pre-screening efforts you've made. This adds an extra layer of protection for hosts.


Enhanced coverage options


Specialist insurers often offer additional coverage options tailored to the unique needs of short-term rental hosts, allowing for more comprehensive protection.

Further reading:


HCH Directory – Insurance

bottom of page